New Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The good, the bad, and the ugly
New C++ Developer EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 7:45 pm by Admin

» Events are happing
New C++ Developer EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 pm by Admin

» Progress! . . .
New C++ Developer EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 5:10 pm by Admin

» Soulmen(jordan)
New C++ Developer EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:56 pm by soulmen

» Basic starting blocks
New C++ Developer EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:41 pm by Admin

» Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought.
New C++ Developer EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:39 pm by Admin

» MP Architecture: Client/Server or Peer-2-Peer?
New C++ Developer EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 2:34 pm by Daemn

» What I am working on at the Moment READ!
New C++ Developer EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 5:15 pm by Admin

» Development Framework available at SourceForge
New C++ Developer EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:46 am by Hairein

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

New C++ Developer

4 posters

Go down

New C++ Developer Empty New C++ Developer

Post by Hairein Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 am

Hi everyone,

i've just joined the project and want to say hello. I've been a C++ developer for more than 10 years and liked the subject matter presented in the forums at http://www.gamedev.net/. I also work with Ogre3D for about 2 years now.
Just to get up to speed, I would like to know if we have any sketches, drawings or documents set up somewhere where it can be viewed online.
Also, we would need a repository of sorts for the sources and data. What are the thoughts here, SVN?
Finally, do we have any specifics regarding the exact type and versions of the development environment (OS, Development IDE, Ogre3D version, SQL Databases for data) etc.?
I realise it's early, but i'm asking in case there's something setup already.
Greetings.
Hairein
Hairein
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

New C++ Developer Empty Re: New C++ Developer

Post by Admin Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi there,

We currently don't have any artwork or sketches to look at which is unfortunate I'm trying to get some artistic people to help out on the project but I haven't heard anything yet. Where currently building up our documentation so that is why we have so little avaliable

By repository, do you mean somewhere that we can collect all of our code togther in one place? I agree that we ned somewhere to upload and store all of our files to, just so we can make all our resources avaliable to the whole team.

The operating system that we shall be targeting is Windows.
I myself an not to farmilar with Ogre3D, but I guess we would use the latest version.

p.s what do you mean to use the SQL databases for? I know a bit of this as I did A level ICT

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://spartanstudioforum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

New C++ Developer Empty New C++ Developer

Post by Hairein Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi again,
no problem regarding waiting for the visual design, sketches and so on. I assume this forum will be the first place to see stuff once the artists start. Primarily, a design document is a must, even if it's short in the beginning.

Generally, we would be storing our code in one place online. SVN can be easily setup for that and each developer, writer or artist gets an account to upload or download, check-in or check-out sources and data for working on.
All developers would need to use the same version of the development libraries etc. to simplify integrating their code into the main repository. The (code) admin would need to handle the main builds of the entire game code (and gfx, sound data) contributed by everyone.

If we go for a client/server architecture for the multiplayer handling of the game, we could use an SQL database instead of storing user and game data in disk-based files. I have good experiences with the free MySQL for that.

I'd be glad to help setup everything above, but I need a (virtual) server to install into.

Last edited by Hairein on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hairein
Hairein
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:13 pm

hum, would the virtual server cost anything as we don't have any money

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeppo Marks Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:02 pm

Howdy. Welcome to the team! Glad to have you.

Zeppo Marks
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by jsmoore82 Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:14 pm

Welcome aboard the project Hairein, I look foward to working with you.

I hope that I can learn from you as I am still relatively new to software development with most of my experence so far being homework assignments at the University I am attending here in the states.

But again, it is great to have you on the team.
jsmoore82
jsmoore82
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

New C++ Developer Empty Free Hosting through Sourceforge or similar maybe

Post by Hairein Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Admin wrote:hum, would the virtual server cost anything as we don't have any money

There are two routes to go here: either make the project open source and use somewhere free like sourceforge for hosting our files or get a virtual server space paying for it (harder, around $20 a month with ~1GB traffic free) which is more private and allows more personal configuration.
I recommend getting the project into Google Code or Sourceforge free, but open source.

What were your previous plans to share the code/data with the coders/artists/writers? We would need, at least, a free FTP area to upload to & download from, assuming you don't want to post files directly through the forums.
1 person needs to administer the official development files (docs, sources, images, sounds) of the game and make sure every change is merged and allows builds of the game.
Hairein
Hairein
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:37 pm

I set up a wiki a while back, but I'm not sure if that offers enough space. I think ive also already set something up on sourceforge but I haven't done anything with that in a while.

Perhaps you could organise alll of the files etc as you seam to be the most experianced

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairein Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Admin wrote:I set up a wiki a while back, but I'm not sure if that offers enough space. I think ive also already set something up on sourceforge but I haven't done anything with that in a while.

Perhaps you could organise alll of the files etc as you seam to be the most experianced

OK, i'll check what it takes to set us up (repository & Wiki) at Google Code as well as Sourceforge. I'll get back to you all on this.
The Wiki isn't really a file repository, but it'll be great for development documentation and other documents. Can you please have a look into reactivating that?

I suggest the following free toolset, regardless of the versions:
Blender3D, Inkscape, GIMP2 (Art)
MS C++ Visual Studio Express 2008 (Development),
Profiler (TBD),
WinDiff (File comparism)
Ogre3D (3D), OIS (Input Handling), ODE (Physics) [no need for SDL, prefer FMod but check license for open source use],
RakNet or Internet Connection Engine (ICE!) (Network Library)
SVN, TortoiseSVN Graphical Access to SVN (Repository)
Inno Setup (Installer)
Notepad++, Open Office (Scripts, Texts and Documentation)
MySql (Database)
Sourceforge (Repository, Wiki)
Various Sound tools (TBD)
Ganttproject (Project Management & Scheduling, Progress Tracking)

Just a few thoughts to start...
Hairein
Hairein
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Okay thanks,

I've already got most of whats in that list perhaps minus the ICE. I'll look at reactivating my source forge acount now, I suppose I'll have to check all the licences too.

I'm also going to provide links that everyone needs to know so they can access all the tools that we will be using

I think Zeppo was on about setting up a Google Docs acount to store his writting on, perhaps a similar thing could be done for the documentation. or would a wiki be better for this

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairein Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Admin wrote:Okay thanks,
I think Zeppo was on about setting up a Google Docs acount to store his writting on, perhaps a similar thing could be done for the documentation. or would a wiki be better for this

A sample Google Docs document was put up and I could read the result there OK.
I'd prefer a Wiki for everything, including the story writing as well as our development documentation, user guides and unit data etc.
The access for non-project specific visitors would be easy and more structured. I'll see if we get a Wiki with our Sourceforge or Google Code project.
Hairein
Hairein
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 pm

He said he needed everyones e-mail address which would be a pain to organise when more people join.

The wiki that I already have set up is the same as the wiki that sourceforge has. But had an easier layout.

Ive put a link to this in the new category 'Announcements'

http://ageofgreeks.wikispaces.com/ you may have to sign up for this,

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeppo Marks Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:06 am

I'll continue using the Google Docs account and backup the story on the wiki as it goes. But I'd prefer to use the Google Docs because of it's resistance to deletion whether by accident or a disgruntled person in the future. You never know. I just want to be safe.

Zeppo Marks
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:25 am

okay post it on both keep it on Google so we have a backup Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jsmoore82 Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:51 am

for now, should we just plan on using a very simple plain-text csv document to store each building's data? I am looking at starting the building's file I/O this weekend/early next week and am trying to figure it out. Granted, ultimately, if I design the building class correctly, any changes to the interface operations should not affect the development, as long as the interface itself doesn't change.

Though, I must admit anything past a simple text file and I am out of my league for file IO, haven't had to write third-party software dependant code before. Might need help on that aspect.

With that said, I am really hoping to have the class without IO be ready so we can start coding on the building children by this weekend.
jsmoore82
jsmoore82
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

New C++ Developer Empty Data file for buildings etc.

Post by Hairein Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi, this approach sounds reasonable.

I think it doesn't harm to keep it simple. We always have the choice to move to XML or SQL database later. I'll try to setup some basic structure for the sources and data, so can start gathering a copy of all files.
Hairein
Hairein
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum