New Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The good, the bad, and the ugly
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 7:45 pm by Admin

» Events are happing
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 pm by Admin

» Progress! . . .
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 5:10 pm by Admin

» Soulmen(jordan)
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:56 pm by soulmen

» Basic starting blocks
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:41 pm by Admin

» Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought.
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:39 pm by Admin

» MP Architecture: Client/Server or Peer-2-Peer?
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 2:34 pm by Daemn

» What I am working on at the Moment READ!
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 5:15 pm by Admin

» Development Framework available at SourceForge
Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:46 am by Hairein

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought.

Go down

Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought. Empty Okay so uni isn’t so demanding as I first thought.

Post by Admin Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:39 pm

We thought to big last time, that was our mistake. We jumped in head first, and achieved little. Our members fizzled away and our project went to pot. That’s how I view it anyway.

SO . . . What I learnt was don’t go jumping in at the deep end, start small(ish hehe) and work your way up. I have a belief that if we can get a few small projects out the way, eventually we may be able to have a go at something more adventurous.

As I think we should keep things simple I’d like to persuade you to take up the keyboard again with me and code away in a new project, a new start . . . . . . . (insert drum roll here if you please) a New Dawn.

The object of the game is for the player/players to pit their forces against each other in a turn based strategy tile game. Each player will have a hero who can rally troops to their cause.

Alternatively a single player my rally their forces against an AI opponent. However it must be stated that the development is primarily to be focused on multiplayer development. During my time away from Spartan Studio

As I wish this to be a graphical project, we will be needing some sort of graphics library. The last time we crossed paths we were using ORGE 3D. However as we strictly don’t need 3D graphics or anything too complicated for this newer project I happen to believe that we could use SDL. Most of you are probably aware of what this is as there is wide support available for it.

On a similar note we will not be needing a 3D modeller for this project, but rather 2D sprites, which are not as hard to make, at least that’s what I like to think.
You will be thankful to know that I have actually developed a somewhat successful and functional scripting system that can be used to develop New Dawn. Form this we are able to declare new weapons/armour, units, races and factions out of compile time.

Another big pitfall of our last encounter was the lake of any real documentation. It is therefore a decision that all of you will probably welcome that our first task is to write up an in-depth and detailed document/account of what we hope to produce, and how.
Instead of hosting the project one sourceforge I’d like to give codeplex a try. From past experience sourceforge has problems

Some libraries that I have looked at,
Raknet: This is to be used for developing the network side of the project, it was mentioned last time. It is open source and has some documentation available. Frome what I’ve seen this is fairly good and relatively easy to incorporate into a project.
One disadvantage of this, is its size(it could just be me, maybe I’m doing something wrong)

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://spartanstudioforum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum